Saturday, July 26, 2008

Scout Camp at Bear Lake

The first week of July, Matt went to Scout Camp at Camp Hunt on the west side of Bear Lake. Since Matt is not 12 yet, I got to tag along as well.

Here is Matt with his friends Kason and Harrison working on the Environmental Science merit badge. They had to do observations in two different areas on three separate days. This is a nice little spot right by the beach.


One morning they did what is called the "Polar Bear". They went to a spot where a mountain stream connects into the lake. Then, they have to say the Scout Oath, Law, Slogan, and Motto while up to their chins in the 45 degree water. When they are done they dunk their heads under the water.


Part of the Woodcarving merit badge requires a "Totin' Chip" which shows you can safley handle an axe. Woodcarving is one of 7 merit badges Matt earned at camp. The others were Indian Lore, Basketry, Leatherwork, Geology, Environmental Science, and Pioneering.


For Pioneering, he had to learn some lashings and build a tower by lashing some dowel sticks together with string.


Here are the tower and baskets he built for the merit badges. It was a fun week full of activities. I liked it, too because I got to play golf every day while the scouts were at merit badge classes!!! (Jen teases me that I went to Golf camp.)

4 comments:

Grandma A said...

Hey Matt, It looks like you had a
great time at camp and earning 7 merit badges is terrific. Love,
Grandma A

I guess I bet Jeff to the comments.:)

Grandma A said...

Whoops, I mean I beat him to the
comments instead of bet.

Jill said...

Holy cow! That water looks cold, there is no way i could do that! Good job Matt!

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Yes, Grandma, you did beat me to the comments. For all of your information, Blaine DID in fact go to Golf camp. In all my years of scouting (only a measly 8 years) I've never heard of the leaders going golfing every day during camp. W-E-A-K. But then again, Blaine DID go to scout camp this year which is more than I can say for myself.