Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Polar Express

Okay, so it wasn't the Polar Express - it was Trax and it was packed last night. No one danced in the aisles and served us hot chocolate. I haven't ridden Trax for a few years - I thought public transportation was supposed to be cheap ($4.50 each for a round trip ticket downtown - luckily we could buy the family pass for $16.50). Last time I rode it was like $1.50 for a round trip. Oh well, it was fun - the kids loved it (especially Nicky). We rode the train all the way to The Gateway and had dinner at Rumbi. Then we ventured over to Temple Square to see the lights.

There were a lot of people at Temple Square. The temperature was cold, but not bone-chilling. We saw the Nativity Program and then went up to see the Christus Statue and the Luke 2 movie. They were shuffling people through pretty quickly so they could accomodate everyone.

The tabernacle was open so we went in and sat down and listened to a guy playing Christmas music on the organ for a few minutes. I don't think the kids had ever been in there before. I remember going there for General Conference when I was a kid and getting packed in there like sardines. That place seemed huge back then, but last night it seemed pretty small compared to the new conference center. It was a pleasant Christmas Eve eve (or Christmas Adam as the kids call it). Beats doing last minute shopping!!

2 comments:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Sweet! First one to comment. The others must be still shopping or wrapping. It's good to see BA in a picture or two since he's usually the one wrapping. I'm glad that you were able to go down there and hopefully, I can take my kids. We'll probably skip the Polar Express and just drive the car with the heated seats. No pictures of the lights? Darn!

Jill said...

I can't believe we didn't see you guys there that night! We didn't ride on the Polar Express but the rest of Joel's family did... they weren't too impressed either. :)