Monday, September 15, 2008

Millcreek Canyon

Millcreek is probably our favorite canyon. Jen and I went up there when we were dating and carved our initials in a tree (BA + JD = TLA). Probably not the best thing for the tree, but it seemed like a fun thing to do at the time. I will have to go find that tree and take a picture of it. The last couple years we have been going to a picinic area called the Terraces that has some nice fire pits and tables. Plus there is good hiking trails and areas for the kids to just play around in the woods.

I thought this picture of Nate, JT and Nick turned out pretty nice. Getting them to hold still for 10 seconds was the tough part of this photo.


I never know whether to use a flash or not when taking a picture in tough lighting situations. So I try to do both when I can get people to be patient with me. In this picture above the sun was low and there were also a lot of shadows. I used a flash so the people are bright, but the scenery behind is darker. Because of the flash, the shutter speed (amount of time the shutter stays open exposing the light into the camera) is faster - 1/60 of a second.


In this picture I did not use a flash, but kept the shutter open longer (1/15 of a second) letting more light into the whole picture so you can see the background better - but the people may be a bit on the bright side. I kind of like the second picture better, but only because I am sucking my gut in a little more than the first. Which do you like better?

5 comments:

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Hah! I'm first to comment! I prefer the first picture even if you're trying to look fatter. Go Cougars! #11 in Coaches poll this week!

Nelle B said...

Both pictures are really good - I hope you will give me a little class on this someday. I think I like the first picture the best, because there is more contrast between the people and the background.
Enjoy the fall colors!

Jill said...

I like them both, but the first one almost looks like it's at night time while the second one looks lighter. They are both good. I definitely need to take some photog classes too.

Grandma A said...

I like the second picture best, because of the way that Nicky is
standing there with his arms folded and looking so cute.

Brunner said...

Cute picture of the boys. That picnic was fun for all