Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget

I still remember that day like it was yesterday, driving to work and hearing on the radio that an airplane had hit into one of the Twin Towers in New York City. Someone called in and told the DJ that one of the towers had fallen down. The DJ was skeptical and told the listeners that was not confirmed. I thought to myself "yeah, a few bricks probably came down." When I got to work (at RC Willey) there was no one to be found on the floor I worked on. Everyone was on the 2nd floor in the TV display area watching it all unfold before our eyes. I watched in horror as the second tower came down.
In Sandy, near were I work now they have a "healing field" that has 1776 flags displayed today in a long grassy field in front of Sandy City Hall. Jen, Matt, Becca and I went there during my lunch hour today (Nicky and Taylor had school).


Some of the flags, called the "Flag of Honor" had the name of each of the people killed on that day across the red and white stripes.


Some flags had a yellow ribbon attached with the name of a soldier from Utah killed in the war on terror that has been going on since that fateful day. I appreciate and salute all those who have fought for the freedom of this country.

4 comments:

Grandma A said...

Hey Blaine, Thanks for the nice
rememberance of that day. I don't
think any of us will ever forget it. I remember that Dad and I were
on our way to a doctor appointment and we heard it on the radio. When
we got to the doctor's office they had the TV on in the waiting room. Everyone was stunned.

Jill said...

Thanks for that reminder Blaine, I can't believe it's been 7 years. Those are good pics too.

R. Jeffrey Davis said...

Man, Grandma and Jill sure are quick! I was going to take the kids tonight but we'll go instead tomorrow night so I can get a picture with all of us. I was in Denver that morning and saw it all unfold on the TV and then had the adventure of trying to get home to be with my family.

Nelle B said...

We were living in Cedar City and Chad was on his mission in the New York City North Mission. Some friends of ours called us early that morning to tell us about it and wondered where Chad was. Fortunately we knew he was serving 80 miles to the north of the city. All the missionaries in that mission got to call and tell their famlies they were ok and talk for about 2 minutes. It was a terrible day.